Appendix I Eight Disciplines of Problem Solving – 8D
- CiCC has delivered millions of dollars of increased profitability by helping organizations drive revenue and reduce costs.
- CiCC is a Vietnam leader in consulting and training related to performance improvement and regulatory compliance. We have helped hundreds of companies effectively develop the potential from within their organizations to successfully integrate and deploy performance improvement principles and practices, and to meet organizational, regulatory, and strategic goals.
- Through our proven ability to transfer the skills and knowledge necessary to improve performance, our customers can realize significant enterprise value for their investment, both immediately and into the future.
- By choosing to work with CiCC you benefit from our:
- Ability to listen and deliver meaningful solutions
- Range of experience with multiple areas of expertise
- Dedication to creation of programs that ensure self-sufficiency
- Commitment to consistently high standards for service and support
- Thorough execution of all objectives
- History of meeting and exceeding client expectations
The Eight Disciplines of Problem Solving (8D) is a problem solving methodology designed to find the root cause of a problem, devise a short-term fix and implement a long-term solution to prevent recurring problems. When it’s clear that your product is defective or isn’t satisfying your customers, an 8D is an excellent first step to improving Quality and Reliability.
Ford Motor Company developed this problem solving methodology, then known as Team Oriented Problem Solving (TOPS), in the 1980s. The early usage of 8D proved so effective that it was adopted by Ford as the primary method of documenting problem solving efforts, and the company continues to use 8D today.
8D has become very popular among manufacturers because it is effective and reasonably easy to teach. Below you’ll find the benefits of an 8D, when it is appropriate to perform and how it is performed.
This engaging, instructor-led 8D problem solving training course takes participants through each step of the 8D problem solving process. The course offers each participant the knowledge of methodologies which have proven to be the best practices for 8D development. Each participant will be able to interact with all of the elements of the 8D process, including the use of tools such as: Ishikawa / Fishbone, Affinity Diagrams, Is / Is Not, Process Flow and Comparative Analysis.
Participants will learn how to follow the 8D process steps while working in a Cross Functional Team (CFT). They will also practice problem solving tools to support a root cause and eliminate it through permanent corrective action. Participants can expect team activities and relevant exercises in a workshop format. The CiCC reference materials and examples also provide an invaluable resource for review time after time.
8D COURSE OBJECTIVES
Participants can expect to learn and develop skills to confidently:
- Perform 8D step by step
- Link 8D to Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Product Development Process and Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP)
- Facilitate an effective 8D
- Participate in 8D exercises
- Define root causes and mechanisms of failure
- Set up a Cross Functional Team (CFT)
- Determine effective Interim Containment Action
- Manage and store 8D content (Lessons Learned) for future use
- When to select and utilize tools such as:
- 5 Why
- Is / Is Not
- Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Poka Yoke (Error Proofing)
- Understand links to Control Plan Methodology
- Complete the 8D format correctly
|Section 1 – 8D Overview
· Team Problem Solving Principles
· Process Description (9 Step Process)
· Team Structure (Cross Functional Team)
· Inductive vs. Deductive Problem Solving
· Change-Induced Problems
· Never-Achieved Problems
8:30 – 12:00
|Section 2 – Review of Analytical Tools in 8D
· Brainstorming Rules
· Ishakawa / Fishbone
· Affinity Diagram
· Control Chart
· Relationship between 8D and FMEA
· 5 Why (3-Legged 5 Why Approach)
· Interfaces and Noise Factors
· Error Proofing
|Section 3 – 8D Process Step by Step
D0 – Prepare (Plan) for the 8D
· Problem Symptom
· Quantified Symptom
· Criteria for 8D Continuance
D1 – Form the Team
· Roles and Responsibilities
· Team Preparation
· Agenda and Rules
· Core Team and SMEs
D2 – Problem Description
· Repeated Why
· Affinity Diagram
· Is / Is Not
· Workshop on Problem Statements and Brainstorming
· Workshop on Problem Description Development
13:30 – 17:00
|D3 – Interim Containment Action (ICA)
D4 – Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Escape Point
· Human Factors (Operator Error)
· Comparative Analysis
· Root Cause Theories
· Root Cause Verification
· Escape Point
· Workshop on Root Cause Theories
D5 – Permanent Corrective Action (PCA)
· Methods for Selecting PCA
· Error Proofing
· Verification of PCA
8:30 – 12:00
|D6 – Implementation and Validation of PCA
· Plan, Do, Study, Act (PDSA) Implementation Plan
· Change Management
· Validation Criteria and Sample Size
D7 – Prevention Action
· Processes and Procedures
· Lessons Learned
D8 – Closure and Congratulate the Team
· Archive of Documents
13:30 – 17:00
|Day Two Review and Q&A|
|Exam and Certificate|
Arrange by customer, but to good maintain classes, number of participant should be not excess 25 people.
PROGRAM COST: Contact for Quotation
Note: This cost is including VAT, Accommodation, Travel, Training material, Certificate.
MBB. PHAM THANH DIEU – LEAN6SIGMA, FMEA, SCM, BSC, ERP CONSULTANT
Telephone: 098. 8000. 364, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Master Black Belt and Lean6sigma group leader (Lean6sigma Vietnam Network) www.lean6sigma.vn , Owned forum, www.leansigmavn.com , Chairman and Deputy Director of Continuous Improvement Consulting JSC; www.cicc.com.vn . With more than 15 years fulltime working, training and consulting in field of continuous improvement FMEA, Lean, 6 Sigma, Lean6sigma, Supply Chain and Balance Scorecard, ERP system.
Besides he was a collaborator Lean6Sigma network bulletins, the magazine of Vietnam Supply Chain Insight, The Saigon Times, and numerous magazine and other online forums. Some customer Dieu has been consulting and training for application and deployment Six Sigma, Lean, Lean6sigma such as Chantelle VN, Hansae TG, Nhabe Garment, Taekwang VN, Bunge VN, YKK VN, KOTOBUKI VN, CS Wind VN, SPi Global VN, Posco VN, Spatronic VN, Kimberly Clark VN, Nitto Denko VN, Vinamilk, ANZ VN Bank, Trung Nguyen Coffee, Olam Café VN, Datalogic Scanning VN, Rang Dong Plastic, Crucialteck Electronic, Thanh Nhon JSC, HUDA Beer, Vinh Khanh Cable-Plastic, Saigon Cable, Tan Tien Packaging, Kosvida, Van Nga Packaging, SOVI Packaging, Starprint VN, Vinh Long Food, and many other clients can refer www.cicc.com.vn for detail.
Dieu has extensive experience in coaching, training & implementation Lean6Sigma and other continuous improvement tools. Flexibility, enthusiasm and patience is the virtue of his to help organization introduce and promote better understanding of the theory and application Lean6Sigma and organizations enables to manage and operate an effective the production of their business. He has very deep understanding of the principles Lean6Sigma and change management system from traditional manufacturing and services to Lean6Sigma production services. He approached Lean, Six Sigma, Supply Chain, and Balance Scorecard from sitting in a chair at the school and pursued until now. Dieu has practical experience working on large Lean6Sigma global company as:
Mr. Dieu worked at Samsung Electronics Corporation in 2002 – 2004, the company specializes in electrical and electronic products owner by Korea have successfully applied the Six Sigma management system since 1997, at that time Mr. Dieu has responsible for improving the full time in Six Sigma department, he has completed the program Green Belt and Black Belt at Samsung. In 2004-2005 he joined the group’s fourth-largest wholesaler Metro Cash & Carry, he was responsible for the assessment and selection of suppliers and ensure quality of goods imported into the Metro Store for non-food products bearing its own brand of Metro, and he has completed courses in Supply Chain Systems here and some soft skill else.
From 2005 – 2007 he joined the Johnson Control Corporation, is a rich and powerful corporations in the Top 100 U.S. entrepreneurs are specialized inside, interior systems and batteries for cars, in this time Mr. Dieu is the head of continuous improvement department, is responsible for establishing and maintaining system improvements through the introduction and implementation of Lean6Sigma, he has completed extensive training courses on application deployment Lean6Sigma in Malaysia, completion Study Master Black Belt.
From 2007 – 2009 he spent so much time to research the application of continuous improvement in Viet Nam enterprise with Lean6Sigma during the time he worked for FPT corporation, where he was responsible for research and introducing Lean6Sigma for the whole group, formulate strategies and implement plans Lean6Sigma, recruitment, training and advice to member companies in the group, building structure and standards to guide improvements continue. From 2009 – 2010 he joined in Government Organization is Quality and Testing Center 3, he is Head of Lean6sigma Department.
Up to now, Dieu and other consultants established and build up the Continuous Improvement Consult Joint Stock Company (www.cicc.com.vn ), he is a Chairman and Deputy Director. His Company becomes a partnership with Hirayama Japan, American Society for Quality (ASQ-AUTO), Robinson Consulting Group (USA), URS (Korea) Micon Thailand, Lean6sigma Vietnam Network, and Supply Chain Insight.